Note

Parts of this blog have been fictionalized. 9. As it was created through the halls of the mind in the grasp of psychosis.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Schizoaffective vs Bipolar I

We were at the end of my session with my psychiatrist when he handed me a slip for getting my lithium levels checked.

I noticed the DSM code at the bottom of the piece of paper. "What diagnosis is that?"

"Bipolar," he responded.

"Do you think I'm bipolar?" I asked.

"No. I think what we're dealing with here is schizoaffective disorder, and someday I'll get around to changing it there."

My heart sank. I never identified myself with that diagnosis. I was hoping in the long run he would disagree even though STanford was certain that I was in fact schizoaffective.

4 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I think the schizoaffective diagnosis is wrong too. But you also no longer sound bipolar to me. I think you've joined me in clinical depression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting, but on the depression scale (they make me take the Beck scale every time I go into see my psychiatrist), I'm only showing up as mildly depressed, but I'm still hearing a lot of voices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, would you consider yourself depressed? 'Cause from what I remember of my reading about schizoaffective disorder, you really don't exhibit any other symptoms of it beyond the voices, at least as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm still depressed. I'm having problems with fatigue, along with other symptoms--but it's not near as bad as it use to be. Remember, diagnosing takes into account history as well. I had a psychotic episode that was not in a mood episode--hence schizoaffective disorder. I had paranoia, delusions, etc. Now, since I'm on the medications, I'm doing a lot better. I have had manic episodes in the past, which is why I'm not a straight schizophrenic.

    ReplyDelete